I love science fiction romance. I love the unlimited possibilities, the fantastic worlds, the clash of cultures and the sense of adventure.
Space really is the final frontier. That’s what attracted me to both reading and writing sci-fi romance. I wanted to recreate the sense of adventure of the explorers, seafarers and adventurers of old — crossing uncharted seas and unknown desert sands. And of course with a little romance thrown in!
Here are my Top 10 Best Science Fiction Romance books — all action-packed with a satisfying happily ever after at the end:
3. Warrior’s Woman by Johanna Lindsey – an oldie but still a goodie.
4. Naked in Death by J.D. Robb – Nora Roberts’ foray into the futuristic, this is the first book in a long series that is a little bit sci-fi, romance, mystery, thriller and police procedural. And Roarke is one of my all-time favorite heroes.
6. Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh – this is the first book in the Psy/Changeling series. It’s marketed as paranormal romance but has all the hallmarks of sci-fi romance including a futuristic Earth and a powerful psychic race.
7. Caressed by Ice by Nalini Singh – another Psy/Changeling book that I love with another delicious hero. There are other books in the series I love but that feature two shifter characters (giving the books a more paranormal vibe, so I haven’t included them in the list but Branded by Fire and Play of Passion — starring some strong heroines — are also among my favorite in the series).
10. The Kraken King by Meljean Brook – another Iron Seas steampunk. I originally read this as a serial (exciting but frustrating) but it is available now as a single book. This book overflows with adventure and has a great hero.
More Science Fiction Romance
And if you still want more, I have a few other science fiction romances worth checking out as well:
– All the other books by Linnea Sinclair
– Mercenary Instinct by Ruby Lionsdrake (aka Lindsay Buroker) which is the first book in the Mandrake series.
– Razor’s Traitorous Heart by S.E. Smith which is part of the Alliance series.
– Escape from Zulaire by Veronica Scott
– The Beyond series by Kit Rocha – these are post-apocalyptic erotic romance
– And a free sci-fi romance anthology — Tales from the SFR Brigade — which also includes a short story by Linnea Sinclair (a follow on to Games of Command!)
Science Fiction Romance Websites and Lists
For more great info on science fiction romances, you can check out:
– The Express has a list of free and bargain sci-fi romances
– This is from 2010, but the Express also has a Must Read list of sci-fi romance
Sci-Fi Romance Quarterly – a free quarterly digital magazine filled with sci-fi romance goodness
The SFR Galaxy Awards – annual awards for some standout sci-fi romances
Amazon has a Science Fiction Romance bestseller list
Goodreads Science Fiction Romance list
Nebula image by NASA Blueshift
Lego Han and Leia image by Kennymatic
Stormtrooper image by JD Hancock